Homeschool and Independent Study

Independent Study

MVWSD does not offer an Independent Study program. Short-term independent study is possible under certain conditions. Please contact your principal for more information.


Homeschooling, an option for MVWSD students, means parents are teaching children at home. This home instruction can be provided in several ways; parent becomes a credentialed tutor, child is enrolled in a public charter school or private school for homeschoolers or parent hires a certified private tutor.

Public school districts do not support homeschooled children with curriculum or instruction. Instead, the parent registers the child as homeschooled with the California Department of Education and provides instruction. 

Homeschooling parents can establish a private school based in their home by filing a California homeschool affidavit. The Private School Affidavit (PSA) can be filed with the California Department of Education (CDE) on their website from October 1 to October 15. It must be filed every year that you plan to continue homeschooling as a private school entity. For more information on this process, click here.

It is important to note that (1) the CDE does not provide guidance on how to home school, and (2) California statutes do not explicitly authorize homeschooling or differentiate between private schools and home schools. Students enrolled in a home school program for the 2020-21 school year must meet the additional requirements of distance learning. For more information on schooling at home,  please see this CDE webpage.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.