Mountain View Whisman School District
Parcel Tax Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes March 19, 2008
Approved on May 5, 2008.
Committee Members: Carmen Bryant, Mike Cobb, Jim Cochran, Greg Fowler,
David Greene, Kevin Stone
Staff: Craig Goldman
Ex Officio: Ed Bailey
Absent: Steve Sherman
1. Call to Order and Review of Agenda
Meeting called to order at 6:34 PM.
2. Public Comment
No members of the public addressed the committee at this time.
3. Minutes Review and Approval
Committee reviewed minutes for the February 4, 2008 meeting.
Motion: Approve minutes for February 4, 2008 as modified. Cochran / Bryant. Carried 4/0/1. Greene abstained as he was not present at the meeting.
For the record, Greene requested additional notes on the spending variances from original 2006/2007 plan.
- Academic at Risk. Reflect delay in hiring. Budget assumed certificated staff when classified staff was required. Also reflect lower the expected usage of Terra Bella alternative program.
- Lower Class Size. Reflects late implementation and greater than expected use of contract resources.
- Music Program. Included in overall CSMA funding. Instruments were purchased and programs are being implemented.
- Zero Period Electives. Sites chose not to implement.
4. Discussion of Parcel Tax Oversight Committee Statement Regarding Overall Performance of the Parcel Tax
Committee reviewed a draft statement and draft advertisement summarizing the overall findings of the Committee’s oversight of the Parcel Tax to date.
Motion: Approve edited statement on overall performance of the parcel tax for public use, including placement in the Committee’s upcoming advertising. Stone / Fowler. Carried 6/0/0.
Stone questioned the purpose and focus of the statement, wanting to make sure that the statement was objective and not “too marketing”. Fowler expressed concern about being perceived as endorsing a measure that has not yet been drafted. Bryant agreed.
Cobb proposed eliminating bullet 5 regarding potential renewal of the Parcel Tax and proposed using the proposed advertising language in place of the language in the proposed statement. Proposal was accepted by Committee.
Committee also discussed distribution and use of the statement. Statement should be the basis of any public comments made by members of the Committee regarding the Parcel Tax. Statement will also be included in the next advertisement placed by the Committee to summarize its finding, and will be distributed to the District population by “backpack mail.”
5. Future Agenda Items
- Review proposals for use of Parcel Tax funds for the 2008-09 academic year
- Update on State Budget and Governor’s proposal
- 2007 / 2008 spending to date
6. Set Date of Next Meeting(s)
Committee set May 5, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. at the date of its next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:10 p.m.