Homeschool and Independent Study

Parent-directed schooling for children

There are typically two methods for parents to educate their children outside of the typical school structure; Homeschooling and independent study. MVWSD does not offer an independent study program.

Homeschooling, an option for MVWSD students, means parents are teaching children at home. This home instruction can be provided in several ways; parent becomes a credentialed tutor, child is enrolled in a public charter school or private school for homeschoolers or parent hires a certified private tutor.

Public school districts do not support homeschooled children with curriculum or instruction. Instead, the parent registers the child as homeschooled with the California Department of Education and provides instruction. 

Homeschooling parents can establish a private school based in their home by filing a California homeschool affidavit. The Private School Affidavit (PSA) can be filed with the California Department of Education (CDE) on their website from October 1 to October 15. It must be filed every year that you plan to continue homeschooling as a private school entity. For more information on this process, click here.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.